The Young Dairy Network Australia (YDNA) has been established to ensure that regional young farmer groups are supported nationally and provides them with an avenue to share information, exchange ideas and stay connected.
Young Dairy Network Tasmania (YDN Tas)
The Young Dairy Network Tasmania (YDN Tas) is the regional network in the state. Groups operate in each of the dairying regions, currently including regional groups in the North East, Central North and North West regions. There is the opportunity to have a other regional groups in the South and King Island, depending on interest. Each regional group is driven by local farmers to ensure activities meet the needs of the local community. The Network will be a collaborative effort amongst industry stakeholders within the state.
The groups with aim to:
- Assist the next generation of dairy farmers to further develop their skill sets
- Assist younger farmers in dealing with issues specific to their needs
- Encourage enthusiasm and motivation to young people in the dairy industry
- Provide inspiration to young farmers and new entrants to stay within the industry
- Provide opportunities for developing networks and relationships with other young farmers and people throughout the industry, and
- Ensure the young farmer network is maintained across the Tasmanian dairy industry.
Young Dairy Network opportunities
Healthy Hooves workshop / Vet resident road show
- 21 March 2017 (NE)
- 22 March 2017 (Central North)
- 23 March 2017 (NW / Circular Head)
Stepping up/back – with John Mulvane
5 & 7 April 2017. Full workshops following on from the tasters in October.
Social event / Go Karting
There is also funding available for a social event / Go Karting or similar in May.
New Zealand study tour
15–29 June 2017. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in going. The plan is to depart mid-June taking in the Mystery Creek Field days and concluding at the end of June with the South Island Dairy Event at Lincoln. You would need a current passport and be able to be away for 2 weeks. You also need to be able to contribute up to $2500 towards the cost of the study.
Dairy award nominations
Remember dairy award nominations are open, are worth up to $1000. The prestige is also a valuable addition to your CV. We strongly recommend that you nominate a peer for the Young Farmer Encouragement award. Other awards that are open are Dairy Safety Award and Environmental Award.